3.26.2015

roller coaster.

A year ago, we were very excitedly getting ready for a mini-vacation to Universal Orlando, where we had big plans to visit the Wizarding World of Harry Potter and to introduce me to riding roller coasters for the first time. I had never ridden a roller coaster before in my life--I'm not even a big fan of ferris wheels. So this was quite a scary prospect for me, and I still wasn't sure whether I'd actually get up the nerve to do it. But it only took one ride on a coaster to win me over, and I haven't looked back. I am now a huge fan of riding roller coasters, and I don't think there's a coaster you can put me in front of that I wouldn't dare to ride.

Photo I took of the Hollywood Ripe Ride Rockit at Universal Orlando. This was a scary one, but super fun!
I loved the experience so much, Mike took me to Kings Island last summer to enjoy the coasters there. It was hot, sunny, and sweaty, and the lines were pretty ridiculously long, but it was worth it. I loved every second of it. We rode as many coasters as we could fit into our day.

There's just something about the rush of twisting and turning and climbing and dropping. The wind in your face; that first scary, fast drop of the coaster that sets the tone for the whole ride. You have no control and you're at the mercy of the ride and of gravity's pull. It's exhilarating and scary-fun and there's no other sensation like it. The adrenaline rush is addictive--you can't get that feeling from many other things in life.

*****          *****          *****          *****          *****          *****          *****          *****

Fast-forward to today, a couple weeks shy of a year from my first roller coaster ride, and...I'm about to embark on a new kind of roller coaster ride. 

((Yeah, yeah, I'm using the cheesy metaphor. I make no apologies. It fits!))

I'm about to have an adrenaline-fueled experience that riding roller coasters can't even compare to--childbirth. And then Mike and I will embark on one of the craziest rides you can undertake in life: parenthood. Our very own little "Banshee" (hehe) will be entering our lives and turning them upside-down. It will be scary and fun at the same time, just like a roller coaster. Am I a little scared? Yes. (Of course!) Am I a lot excited? HECK YES.

It's going to be quite the ride. Once we're on, there's no turning back--the twists and loops, the ups and downs, the fear and pleasure, the projectile vomit (!!), all of it will be a permanent part of our lives. And as scary as that sounds, it also sounds pretty freaking awesome. I guess that mixture is kind of the point!




No comments:

Post a Comment